Monday, 13 December 2010

3 miles of bliss, 3 miles of crappy run

Well, kind of.

I went out for a run this fine morning, and it was half sublime, half awful. I've missed a bit of running because of icy pavements, and Saturday was the first time I'd been out in 12 days I think. But today, Monday... I'd slept perfectly, everything was in place for a nice run. I had thought about doing it as a long run, but revised that and though nah, I'll just see how it goes; as long as I hit six miles I'll be pretty happy.

So I'm all togged up, outside at 6:50 this morning, and press play on the iPod Shuffle. What comes on but Puff Daddy's Come With Me, not a song I love but a great one to run to thanks to that crazy Led Zep riff and pounding drums. I set out with a spring in my step and a huge grin on my face.

Of course, I set out too fast. I was still grinning, pretty much, after three miles but when I came to do the loop a second time, it all went tits-up. It was such a struggle, I even let negative thoughts creep in. Same hills, same dips, same route, but twice as hard.

I ended up doing about 7.2 miles in something like 75 minutes, which I was pretty pleased with considering how the run ended. The only upside was using my new headtorch, which is absolute class... More on that another time.

I haven't blogged in a long time, not like this, so this might even be fun. Who knows?

Top songs for this morning's run: I Don't Mind At All, Chris Canty Band; Where Is My Mind, Pixies.

No comments:

Post a Comment