Friday, 11 February 2011

Up, down, up, down.

Some weeks it seems I'm going to run a marathon on just two runs a week. Then last night I remembered that I can get a quality run in, burn some lard, and really work the hamstrings and glutes in less than half an hour.

So this week, so far, I have done two runs, on Wednesday, one on Thursday. Wednesday I thought I would try a familiar 3.3 mile loop at race-ish pace, so I just kind of went for it. First mile was hard, and I think I did it in something like 10:15, which is a bit slower than I had planned, but then it does feature a couple of hills. I didn't look at my watch again after that, just ran. When I finished, I discovered I had covered the 3.3 in around 32.5 minutes, which is about my race pace - for a 10k. Really rather pleased with that, as I can go faster, but it was pretty comfortable.

Thursday night, all I wanted was a fucking beer. Just one. Or 10. So instead, I took the dog for her second walk of the day (most days, I walk the dog for between 2 and 3 hours in total), came home, changed, and went for a run. I warmed up with perhaps 3/4 of a mile, came to the spot I had fixed in my head for the hill reps to start... The eagle-eyed among you may recall that hill reps mostly suck arse, but here I am doing them for the second time in two weeks. A different hill, a bit steeper but a bit shorter, too. So to compensate, I did more reps. Some people do them until they spew on their feet, but not me. I want to get stronger, not injured. So I went for it, completing the first five reps in 29 seconds every time, regardless of perceived effort. Run up hard, walk down and recover; hit the bottom and start again. The next two times, I did it in 28 seconds. The eighth and final time, I did it in 26 seconds. Then I cooled down with a walk home, and was only out for a total of perhaps half an hour. And yes, that includes the walk home. I was fucked.

Feel pretty good today though. And tomorrow? I have the course in my head – we're going for 19 miles. Just to see if we can. One 5.4 mile loop, three times. And one just-under-three-miles to warm up. It will be dark, it will be wet, and it will not be very much fun. But let's see what I'm made of, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment