Sunday, 14 August 2011

Holiday runs

Well, I got back from a week away yesterday. We went to Anglesey, a small island off the north west coast of Wales. And let me tell you, that is one grim place when it rains. And it rained.

We had a great time though, I must say. Mostly very relaxing, in a caravan in a tiny orchard, off on our own. Never been in a caravan where I felt we had so much privacy, it was lovely - but maybe a bit dull for the two teenagers we had with us, as we weren't even anywhere near a shop, never mind a town.

Anyway, I managed to get several runs in while away. And I did it in a really dull, un-adventurous way, and I'm not sure how I feel about that... We got there last Saturday, and on Sunday morning I set out with the dog to find a course to run. Easy enough. I found a route where it covered three types of terrain: Road, beach and single track.

I just tried to map this on mapmyrun.com and it's kind of difficult, as only the road is on there. It's not a long route, maybe just 2.5 miles, but it's hard. It starts with a long, long downhill on road, evens out for maybe 1/8 of a mile, then it twists uphill, before a more gradual downhill, then a turning, leading to the beach. Then it's through dunes for perhaps 1/4 of a mile, then a left and on to single track and a couple of fields. As a walk, this last part takes maybe 15 minutes to come down, longer to go up but not a huge amount. So it's not long - but in this we recover all the elevation we previously shed, albeit in a gradual slope overall. I found this really hard; I ran it Monday and Tuesday, then rested Wednesday, and Thursday I damn near sprinted it. Well, it felt like it. It was a lot faster. Then Friday, I did three loops of it, as a confidence booster, as I just entered another race.

Oh, did I mention that? Another half marathon, for my local hospice, on September 11th. They had some people drop out so they called and asked if I fancied it, and could I rope in another couple of people. Job done.

So I've done six very hilly miles, maybe up to 7.5 very hilly, and I have a few weeks to race day. I should be absolutely fine for the day, especially as it's a completely flat course around a lake.

In other news, I have two speakers up for attending our race event next year, both accomplished runners, one an outstanding, Michelin-starred chef, too. Very exciting indeed, it's coming together nicely.

Oh, and while I was away, I wrote the prologue and opening chapter to send to the publisher blokey. Fingers crossed for that one. I sat down one morning and next thing you know, a couple of hours later, I had 4,000 words, and they're pretty good, I think.

Enough of my burble. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment