Friday, 2 March 2012

Random Friday Facts

Fuck me, Friday again? Did I blog anything since last Friday? Bugger shit and arse biscuits.

1: Designers occasionally piss me right off. Yes, we all have hard jobs. But yours? Not so much. So kindly shut your fucking moaning, and get on with the job. That way, it gets done much quicker, and you remain un-stabbed. Win-win.

2: I have officially worked 19 days without a break. Tonight I intend to get fucked-up drunk, and tomorrow, rehydrate ready for a 14-miler on Sunday.

3: All that work also means I have not been able to run much this week. Today, Friday, was my first since last Sunday's rather successful 11.5 or so miler.

4: Last night, I watched a physio put one of my models through hell, all for the sake of art. Kind of.

5: Too busy right now to do much other than work. That all changes in about five minutes when we take the dogs out, and my weekend of doing next to nothing begins.

6: I am currently reading 'The Art of Fielding'. Enjoying it a lot, though it is excessively reminiscent of John Irving. And when I say of him rather than of one of his books, it's because it reminds me of everything he's written.

7: This week, I read the new Max Brooks paperback, Closure Limited. I love World War Z, it's a beautifully put-together book and works on many levels. It's fun, it does zombies brilliantly. This turd, however, is fucking dreadful. 124 pages of wide-set type with filler images, this could easily have been less than 100 pages. It's like the album someone makes to get out of their record deal. And the writing... It's just no good. Even worse, despite this 124-page dog egg being an incredible £5.99 to buy full price, it has at no time been seen by a copy editor. Using 'sight' where 'site' should be used is such a basic error, it makes me want to hurt people.

8: But I didn't hurt anyone. I did, however, email the publisher to tell them I felt ripped off and that it was shite.

9: It's not the worst book ever though. That accolade goes to Harlan Coben. I can't even remember what the book is called. Fucking awful. First book he ever wrote, so when he got famous he got it published. With no word of warning on the back cover; that was saved for inside. And it is the biggest piece of dreck I can think of. I have not read any of his books since, because he fucking ripped me off with that one. As my first-ever editor told me, "You don't lie to the kids; if you do, they'll know, and they'll never come back". Harlan, you lied to the kids. Yeah, you admitted it inside, but I HAD ALREADY BOUGHT THE BASTARD BOOK AND TRAVELLED 30 MILES HOME BY THE TIME I DISCOVERD THIS.

10: I still adore Guns N Roses' Appetite For Destruction. Not keen on any of the other albums, but that one is pure class, start to finish.

11: I might watch a movie tonight. Maybe 22 Bullets, maybe Tucker and Dale Vs Evil, maybe just two episodes of Walking Dead.

12: This weekend, on my long run, I will try something very, very different - I am going to try and run while listening to podcasts. My lovely friend Toby, a comedian, has done one, and there's an ultrarunning one I fancy giving a go to as well.

13: Did I mention I'm tired? I am. *cue violins*

14: Bugger, I don't think we have anything for dinner. Best sort that out, too.

15: My lovely wife has cooked every night this week except last night, when my stepdaughter did the bulk of it. This is most unusual, I generally do most of the cooking, but it has been a most welcome change.

16: I'm booked to do a Leadership In Running Fitness course, thanks to my local council. Running club here we come!

17: I'm outta here. Normal blog service will resume next week.

1 comment:

  1. "Bugger shit and arse biscuits." - I wish I lived in the UK.

    ReplyDelete